Thursday, March 26, 2015

Oops, I did it again

garden cart full of grasses and Achillea

Britney Spears notwithstanding, if you do the same thing over and over, it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong. Clearly there is something about it that pays off for you. Exhibit A: my river garden in the front yard. On a whim, I wacked down the perennials (with a couple of exceptions) on March 21st, last Saturday for those that keep track of such things. A kind neighbor passing by hollered out, “You know it’s too early to do that?!” To which I (being the classy dame that  I am) shouted back, “I don’t care. I need to be outside!”

I can see the salmon now

Which put me in mind of another year when I planted my annuals in containers rather early in April and a canvassing politician at my door made no mention of her ideas for our city, other than to note that I had planted out too early. I guess I’m edgy like that. Or perhaps early gardening activities are so provocative that no one, not even a stranger or a person that doesn’t know a petunia from a peony, can resist giving their two cents. Everyone’s a critic. Britney knows about that.

Meanwhile, we shall see who has the last laugh. The low temperatures are mostly above freezing in the forecast, and no snow in sight. I have no doubts the naysayers will continue to pester me though, I’m not that innocent.

 

Are you rushing things in the garden?

13 comments:

  1. if the snow wasn't piled 6 feet high in my yard I'd be whacking back the perennials too. If the ground is bare I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are just saying that because you make them feel guilty for not getting out there yet. I have certain people tell me it is much colder in their garden so they can't start garden clean up even tho they live only 10 miles from me. ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heck, we had a snow storm today and no garden work here. I admire you outside working, but you are bit warmer than us here. Our ground is frozen and it maybe be June before I see anything flowering the way this winter is going. Did I say going, I did mean it went, but somewhere along the line, nobody told winter to vamoose. Speaking of moose, you need a moose in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MargueriteI see you understand! Usually the snow is piled that high for us, too. Hope your snow melts soon.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lisa GreenbowClean up is the best part of gardening in a cold place. Or at least the most anticipated, I think.

    Do your neighbors live in a windswept gully or something?

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Donna@GWGTThat's what I'm afraid of...a winter snowstorm. All the snow melted before April: it's unheard of here. I just changed my winter studded tires for my car to the summer set last night.
    Mother Nature can only take so many thumbs in her eye before she goes berserk. I think a wise old Alaskan once said that, or maybe I just made it up.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to resist making an early start isn't it? I hope that things work for you and you prove gardening isn't an exact science

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is NEVER too early to garden!! Ever! You go girl. My biggest pet peeve are people who tell me that I don't need red dye in my hummingbird feeders. They are my feeders and I'll put dye in them if I want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sue GarrettThanks, Sue. The local garden guru wrote an article in our newspaper that it is officially spring, so I guess I'm in the clear.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Bonnie KHi Bonnie,

    Unsolicited advice should be a misdemeanor crime punishable by a day of silence for the offender.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have learned not to rush things in the garden.

    Though, not all things in life.

    You go girlfriend, I understand !

    XO T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone is trying to rush things in the garden as spring still seems elusive and winter has been lingering too long. Patience definitely is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Climate weirding has arrived. If the ground is bare, go for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate and (hopefully) encourage participation amongst readers of this blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails