Saturday, December 31, 2016

Save some resolve for the garden, would you?

 

Sunset in Alaska

Not all my New Year’s Resolutions are for the mind, body, and money pit that is my home. I have some for the garden, too. In no particular order, here they are.

1. Put some edging in. I am getting tired of the “dance of the edging tool,” performed by yours truly, every year. Sometimes the dance is a long one, other times only a few egregiously encroaching feet of turf grass are whittled away and tossed into the compost pile or at a nearby brushy spot in the yard.

This year, in a burst of energy, the dance took me out of the garden and down the sides of my driveway. I have regained quite a bit of drive space. It’s amazing how tough grass is, growing right over and into the asphalt.

2. Prune those competing central-leader branches on the spruce trees the former homeowner planted. Of course they are over ten feet in the air and require a ladder. And have you ever leaned into a spruce tree? Those things are mean. They scratch me every time I mow the lawn around them.

What I would really love to do is to cut down that very blue spruce that they planted. It is just there with no rhyme or reason amongst the green spruce. I don’t have a prejudice against the color blue on a spruce tree, and have grown several blue semi-dwarf varieties at my last garden. It’s just eye-catching when/where it shouldn’t be.

3. Plant some trees. I’m thinking some tall ones in scale with my house. We need some more privacy from the street. When the neighbors’ dog takes a dump in my lawn, I want to be surprised by it.

There is no fun at all in knowing which beast did the deed because you just witnessed the cheeky devil relieve himself from the living room window. I get to speculate based on size of droppings, distance from road, and whether it’s firm/crusty/mushy. Points awarded if I step in it while mowing the lawn.

4. Grow some herbs and other goodies for the ladies. We have three amusing, disgusting, lovable, productive, fluffy chickens. They love watermelon and will take one down to the very rind but those don’t grow so well here. Carrots and potatoes do well here, but our chickens don’t love them. Hmm, what do grow?

To stave off chicken obesity and just because she wants to, my kid takes them on walks in a harness and leash for small dogs. Some chickens enjoy this more than others, or at least, some can run faster and escape from the prospect of being a spectacle. Cars have stopped in the street to watch. Our “pet dogs with feathers” deserve a home-grown treat or two. We’ll see what I come up with.

I did start this list with two items and seem to be adding and adding so I’d better wrap it up. I don’t want to get overloaded with projects outside. Nothing kills resolutions faster than apathy, right? Or is it injury? For me, the real fun is still just being in my garden, whether with a shovel or a lemonade, it’s all good. Happy New Year!

What needs doing in your garden? And will you do it in 2017?

7 comments:

  1. I love the image of chickens on leads. Do they have little jackets too?

    Our patio has been waiting ti be relaid for several years. Will 2017 be the year it is done? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the edges and the trees. You have plenty of time to plan. Wishing you a safe, happy, and healthy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I would love to see a photo of your chickens strolling around on a leash. What a spectacle. I hate edging garden beds etc. It is rewarding to see those clean edges but what a bother. I miss reading about your garden. I hope you are able to enjoy it to the max. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sue GarrettBest of luck with the patio this year, Sue!

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bonnie KThanks, Bonnie K, I need all the luck I can get!

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa GreenbowThanks for reading, Lisa, and it does mean a lot to me that people enjoy it! I would like to write more this year about my garden.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is your garden growing? Miss those posts from the Far North.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate and (hopefully) encourage participation amongst readers of this blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails